• Clock9:30 - 17:30
    Our Opening Hours: Mon - Fri
    Outside office hours, by appointment only
  • Clock6535 1800
    Call Us At Your Convenience
    24/7 Committed

Singapore Divorce Lawyer - Lam & Co Blog

For most people, divorce is a rare and scary thing. You simply do not have any previous experience with it and there are many horror stories you have heard from your friends. Lam & Co.'s expert divorce lawyers are focused on sharing information with you to assist you as much as possible in making painless and correct decisions.

What Can I do to Increase my Chances of Getting Care & Control Over my Child(ren)?

 It is important to try to understand the judge's way of thinking about care and control.

Child(ren)'s welfare paramount consideration

Under the Women's Charter, when the judge makes any decision that is related to the child(ren), the judge is required to make the child(ren)'s welfare the paramount consideration.

This means that the judge must treat the child(ren)'s welfare as the most important factor when making any decision that is related to the child(ren).

Stable household and primary caregiver

Often, the judge will emphasize providing a stable household for the child(ren).

This, in turn, usually means that the judge will grant care and control of the child(ren) to the party who was the primary care giver during the marriage -- provided, of course, the child(ren) has (have) been well take care of by the primary care giver.

Thus, a full-time housewife who does not have a domestic helper, who is there all the time for the child(ren), closely supervising the child(ren) and where the child(ren) is (are) healthy and doing well in school is much more likely to get care and control than a parent who is none of the above.

Increasing your chances

Depending on your situation, you may be able to increase your chances of getting care and control over your child(ren) by:

-keeping a diary (a pen and paper one, not an electronic one).

In it, you should record when you get up and go to bed and how you spend your time with the child(ren).You should also record when your spouse gets up and goes to bed and how he or she spends time with the child(ren).

Naturally, such a diary will help your case if you are the primary care giver.Otherwise, it may assist your spouse's claim for care and control.Thus, care should be exercised in keeping such a diary.

-taking photos and/or videos every single day.

These can record your interactions with your child(ren) and help prove that you are the primary care giver.There is no need to wait for a special occasion like a birthday or public holiday to take photos or videos.

The above is not legal advice and should not be taken as such.

Call 6535 1800 now for a No Obligation discussion.

Lam & Co. (Advocates & Solicitors): An International and Singapore divorce law firm.

We can help by addressing your questions and speaking about how to move forward.

For a no obligation discussion, call +65 6535 1800, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Rate this blog entry:
My Marriage is Not Working And I Want a Divorce. ...
My Spouse Has Kept Me in The Dark About His (or He...


Fill in the form below and we will contact you for a private and confidential discussion.